Tuesday 1 December 2009

On a cold and frosty December morning...


We awoke to a white bright landscape this morning - somehow it seems appropriate..the first day of December & the first frost arriving together...
I always found December days in Sydney odd - buying swimsuits and summer clothes for my G.G's Christmas presents - I never got used to it...If you asked most of my Aussie girlfriends what December means to them, they would say 'the beach, summer holidays & living outdoors' - for me December meant missing northern hemisphere traditions and looking forward to brightening the short dark days with lights, candles and log fires......but not this year.......
Happy December whichever hemisphere you inhabit.......! s

7 comments:

  1. Wasn't today a wonderful day, Susie. Clear blue skies and a lovely frost....gorgeous. I love cold and frosty weather. Candles and mulled wine and lovely food all spell Christmas to me but, I'm sure that, if I was an Aussie, swimsuits, barbies and cold drinks would be the order of the day. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh, oh!!! - beautiful... wish I was there! Have to keep reminding myself that YES, Christmas is going to happen here too in Australia and not just back in UK where all the relatives are! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I much prefer warm weather, but there really is something special about a cold, crisp December morning with sparkly frost on the ground. It's a wonderful announcement of the coming of Christmas. Now, if January would do some equally beautiful gesture to indicate summer and 90 degrees were near.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie - it was lovely to look at (from the window with the heating on!!) Actually, it's the perfect weather to go to the garden centre and choose a tree!! I know when I do, I shall be laughing the whole time thinking of you....love Susie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah - are you back yet? I know exactly what you mean....it's really a bizarre feeling isn't it? I always felt surprised when I came over from Oz to discover that life had continued without me!! What is that about? We'll have to talk about that when we meet up next!!! Love Susie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rita - I totally agree! All the frosts seem enchanting in December but in January, it's just a nuisance to have to de-ice the car (again!)...I just cancelled my trip to Sydney (I should be leaving today) but I think I shall be happy to spend December enjoying all the festivities..when the de-icing starts to grate, that's when I shall re-schedule! Love Susie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sooo over the heat here in Australia and would love to wrap up in a warm jacket and go for a crunchy walk through that frost. Can't take the kiwi out of me that easily!
    Enjoy the rest of your week Susie.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete