Wednesday 11 November 2009

One thing I miss about Sydney......

is taking a trip to the fish markets and picking out the plumpest and juiciest big prawns and then coming home and cooking them on the 'barbie' to be served warm and simply with some good sourdough bread, a rocket salad and a dish of aioli to dip them in.....yum....
Shop bought mayo just doesn't work as the secret to success here (sorry to be bossy!) is simplicity but excellent quality ingredients....if the thought of making mayonnaise is terrifying, a good substitute can be whipped up in the processor using egg yolks, lots of garlic, a tsp of salt (it has to be really well seasoned) and dribbling in a bland oil, preferably groundnut, (or light olive oil at a push) whilst the motor is running......voila!!
I was really excited whilst out shopping to find these babies (Madagascan black tiger prawns, apparently) & as it was about 4 degrees outside and not exactly what you would call 'putting a prawn on the barbie' weather, I did the next best thing & put them on a shallow tray, scattered a good amount of garlic, chilli & parsley over them, drizzled with good olive oil and some ciabatta breadcrumbs, gave it all a good mix and into the oven for about 15 mins.....



Hey presto.....



Prawn heaven - every delectable, sweet, salty. garlicky, chilli flecked mouthful......The only thing we were missing was this:






Ah, well.........s






6 comments:

  1. Hi there, my name is Jackie and I just read your comment over at Brabourne Farm and was so pleased to see another Brit. There aren't that many of us out there!! I could eat those prawns right this minute. Lovely to find another gorgeous blog. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie - good to meet you! Thank you so much for stopping by and being my 3rd follower on this very new blog! I have only recently discovered your blog and love it....your photo today of the text reminded me of a house we looked at which had part of the poem 'The Battle of Blenheim'on the bathroom wall - it looked stunning but it wasn't something I was familiar with..I know you said 'very scandinavian' - is that where it comes from?
    Look forward to continuing our 'acquaintance' - warm wishes, Love Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrummy looking prawns and soon you will be having the prawns and the view too perhaps?? - Knew you would have followers quickly - exciting isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie

    Thank you for your lovely comment. I'd gladly swap Bath for the Southern Highlands at the moment - extremely hot weather is coming and I am dreading it. Adelaide has had the hottest November day ever recorded - it's been above 35C for the last six days and it's heading our way! Oh to be in beautiful, cool Bath (one of my favourite places). Hope you have a lovely weekend. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susie, don't you just love getting new followers and comments on your blog. I found your blog so interesting as I read through each post and look forward to following. I found you via Leigh @ brabourne farm.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Leigh & Ange - thank you so much for your lovely messages - I have left replies on your respective blogs - I'm not quite sure whether it's best to leave a reply here or to send to your own blogs?? Any help would be welcome! Love Susie x

    ReplyDelete